Understanding and determining your body shape is often the first step in learning how to dress in a way that makes your body look its best. Nearly every woman has problem areas she would like to cover, as well as positive features she would like to show off. Life is a struggle as long as there is life, so do our body with ageing. Especially for mothers who go through pain of stretch mark, C-section scars, sagging breasts and flappy tummy. Some of us use corset and body magic to hide it. Some of us use push up bra to feel sexy. But when we get into the bathroom, naked and see the real body, we should remind ourselves that we produced a creature, a human being! That is priceless enough to make us feel proud, important and courageous to love our own body shapes as it is.
I was a victim of Post- pregnancy body issues for years. I had gone through a six inches of super wrinkled saggy skin issue and emotional breakdown. Body shame and appearance anxiety resulted in self-objectification in me. Self-objectification takes place when we feel shame and hide ourselves or parts of ourselves from the world because we don’t meet the ideals we think we should, or we work to change the parts of us that just don’t cut it. Self-objectification blocked me for many years till I realized the risk to remain was more painful than the risk it took to bring changes to overcome it.Accepting my body as what is, enchanted love and confident in my own body to a great extent than regular exercises, healthy diet or surgery helped me to recover it.
Not every trend is for everybody, and that’s okay.
Understanding the value of dressing for your particular shape promises more comfort and confidence in embracing your silhouette, rather than struggling against it. The first step is to ask, What body shape am I?
In this guide, We’ll talk about properly examining your body, taking your measurements, and what body type you fall into. Examining your shape allows you the opportunity to gain a better understanding of what these areas are, which will later allow you to learn about dressing to flatter your figure.
Use Body Shape Calculator link to determine your body-shape.
These are the 8 major female body shapes according to a study of over 6000 women. Among these body shapes, five most commonly identified body shapes according to fashion experts are named as:Apple, Pear, Ruler (also called rectangle), Hourglass and Inverted triangle.
Inverted Triangle Body Type:
- Your shoulders or bust are larger than your hips.
- Your shoulder or bust measurements are more than 5 percent bigger than your hip measurement. For example, if your shoulders measure 36 inches, your hips will be 34 1/4 inches or smaller.
- Your hips are slim and your bottom may have a tendency towards the flat side.
- Your waist is subtle and you have a tendency to gain weight in your belly and upper body.
- Your beautiful, shapely legs are your asset.
The Rectangle Body or Straight body shape or Ruler Body Type:
- Your shoulders, bust and hips are around the same size, with no defined waistline.
- Your shoulder, bust and hip measurements are within 5 percent of each other. Your waist is less than 25 percent smaller than your shoulder or bust measurements. For example, if your shoulders measure 36 inches, your waist will be 27 inches or more.
- You probably have a bottom that is more flat than round.
- You tend to gain weight in your torso first and then your upper thighs and arms.
- Your lower legs are always shapely and one of your best assets.
The Apple Body or Oval Body Type:
- Hips and shoulders have the same width; waistline has the same width or is wider
- You gain weight mainly around the waist
- Slender lower legs and arms
- Your high hip is wider than your lower hip
- Your bust and/or midriff are larger than your hips
- You might be of short waist
- Your thighs or hips are probably the narrowest part of your body
The Pear Body or Triangle BodyType:
- Your hips are wider than your shoulders.
- Your hip measurement is more than 5 percent bigger than your shoulder or bust measurements. For example, if your shoulders measure 36 inches, your hips are 37 3/4 inches or larger
- You have an athletic build.
- You probably have rather flat buttocks.
- You might have a larger chest and fuller back than rectangles.
When inverted triangles gain weight, they usually gain it through the torso and back area.
The Neat Hourglass Body or Full Hourglass Body Type:
- Your shoulders and hips are around the same size, with a very defined waistline.
- Your shoulder and hip measurements are within 5 percent of each other.
- Your waist is at least 25 percent smaller than your shoulder, hip and bust measurements. For example, if your shoulders and hips measure 36 inches, your waist is 27 inches or smaller.
- You have round and sloping shoulders.
- You have a well-defined waistline.
- Your buttocks are rather round.
- Your lower hips are wider than your high hips.
- Your thighs are full but narrower than the lower hips.
- Hourglass body shapes gain weight through the hips and above the waist.
Now that you have known your body shape, you can find dresses that flatter your figure, pants that fit perfectly or tops that look great on your shape. How do you determine what to wear with the overall silhouette of your body? Stay tuned for my upcoming article exclusively on UBI.